Tuesday, August 11, 2020

California Bird

18 in x 24 in 
ink // watercolor // cold press
35 mm
 

When I was a bird

You were the ones who loved my song
Many times you'd sing along

Enchanted by what you want to be
Caught me , trapped by your beliefs

Now I'm in the cage you made

Crushed beneath your selfish ways

No song to sing

My tears are a stir

The bars like knives your angry words

Some have need and some lack for want
All want to feel love to some degree
Maybe it's time that this bird break free

Thousands of miles unto the sea
Into the wild, with palm and tree

Thinking of western shores that peeked
And remind me of a time I didn't mind to teach

A time when I took pride in the children's minds I reached
and loved the joy I received from each

Now I sit, and face a beach
No board to ride on smooth concrete

I lift my head above the place I weep
The man, the willow, coconut tears for meat
Wake to praise as the trumpet plays

Sounds of freedoms light

I remember my song and why it was gone

Why it was meant
for those who lament

To bring peace and strength

You wanted to feel that presence
With you always
You wanted to lock it inside your pocket
To save for your own need

But the song of a bird that is meant to be heard
Shall give it the will to break free


No comments:

Post a Comment